Business Card

In my Digital Foundations class, I was given the task to create a business card for my school. I decided to reach out to a specific teacher, Mr. Jon Hinthorne, and make him a business card. I emailed him and he said he would love a new business card. He gave me things he wanted such as blond colors like blue and red, as well as include his musical side along with the subject he teaches. This blog will walk you through my design process I used while creating my business cards in Photoshop.

First draft

First draft

This was one of the first drafts I created. As you can see, I used a lot of blues and reds to meet his request. I also included the platform that he used to put out his music which happens to be Spotify. I used the shape tool in order to make the musical notes that cover a majority of the top right corner. I knew I was going to make music a big part of Mr. Hinthorne’s card because he loves music and he uses it a lot while teaching. I put the three main places he can be contacted at on the right-hand side, by themselves so it’s clear and they won’t be confused with anything else on the card. Of course, I made our mascot really big so it catches your eye and can be recognized easily. A challenge I had was incorporating the Spanish section. In the end, I went with a simple “Hola” to show that he does teach Spanish at Central Coast New Tech High, as well as produces music outside of school. He also wanted me to put that he tutors both Spanish and piano outside of the classroom, so I made sure they were on the card. After I made this draft, I emailed Mr. Hinthorne the picture. He gave some pieces of feedback such as take off the “Hola” and add more pictures instead of words.

Second draft

Second draft

In my second draft, I took Hinthorne’s feedback and changed things accordingly. As you can see, I got rid of the “Hola” and moved the title to fill the empty space. He loved the colors and the notes, so I kept those in place. I also added pictures for his music platforms. I made the Direwolf mascot symbol smaller to fit some of the other pictures and to clean up the card in general. Another thing he requested was to make some of the text bigger because it was a little small to read. After I changed everything, I printed this copy to see how it would look with the correct business card sizing. It looked okay, but things still needed to be changed. I emailed him this draft and he really liked it, but I wanted to change a few things so everything could fit comfortably.

Final version

Final version

Since some of the text was too small and hard to read after print, I made a lot of the text larger and shifted some things ever so slightly so everything could fit. My Digital Foundations teacher, Mr. Oliver, told me that the Apple Music image might cause some problems, so i just got rid of it entirely and left the Spotify image to show his music production. I reprinted this card after making the adjustments and it looked a lot better and it was a lot easier to read. I emailed Mr. Hinthorne this draft and he said he loved it. I’m almost certain this will be my final draft.

I really enjoyed the business card making process. It was really interesting getting into Photoshop and making the card from scratch. I loved working with Mr. Hinthorne. He gave me really good feedback on what he wanted out of the card and I did my best to meet his wants. This was a really good project and I learned so much about talking to a client and what it takes to go into design,

Comments are closed.

Back to Top